Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I wish I was a vegetarian...

I really wish I could. But the occasional appeal of a steak, salad and baked potato just won't let me do it. I do not think it is necessarily wrong to eat meat, I just have a problem with way animals are raised for food. Yes, I think it is inhumane, but pass the steak sauce please. I've been pondering our society as it is today, all techy, geeky, lazy, trashy. This is not what being on the Earth was suppose to be. Think for a moment. Way back when, (not millions of years, but a couple hundred) when we weren't dependent on gas for mobility or energy. People lived near where they worked, they walked, or rode their horse. Time wasn't as much an issue. People did die earlier secondary to poor sanitation, but is it possible that time was slower?? Remember what it was like when you were 10, and you couldn't wait until the afternoon cartoons came on...time was flying by for working adults, scrambling, trying to make a buck and keep up with the Joneses, multi-tasking, but for the 10 year-old, it was slow. Painfully slow at times. SO, what if living to 50 in 1820 felt like living to 80 today? Don't get me wrong, I think that I would take 80 over 50, but what about quality?? What about a slower life with fewer expectations, and not so self-centered. What about life that's based on survival itself, versus how well one plays to another's tune?

I'm getting muffled. I want to be a better person. I want to follow through, I want to sit outside and take a deep breath and just be content.

2 comments:

Christian said...

Amen to that. I want a simple life...I ate vegetarian for about 3 months last year. Mostly for health more than anything but I do love a good steak. It definitely taught me moderation. Instead of eating like a cow a week. I don't crave it all the time like I used too.

angela said...

I'm with you. Simplify, simplify, simplify. I long for it; I really want to be good at it. I am so easily distracted by all the gadgets and gizmos around me but I truly desire a simple, peaceful pleasing life.